▶ Listen to the article below
Our personal culture represents our identity. It is everything that surrounds us and how we choose to manifest it. Think of it as a living organism that is in a continuous change and adaptation of our being.
The major roles that we play each and every day in our lives have a direct impact on our way of expressing ourselves and our belief of who we are, thus on our personal culture.
We can all think of friends, family, colleagues and community members that have a sense of style, way of speaking, a certain way of arranging the furniture or even a specific perfume that they wear. Now all these visible marks are called Surface Culture, and we practice them as well. They can be easily identified by WHAT we do.
If we want to take a look at our motivations and reasons for our results, we must access Deep Culture. This represents WHY we do what we do. From beliefs to values, judgements, prejudices, strategies, aptitudes, attitudes and the list could go on.
Our internal reasoning process and decision making is done almost on autopilot. This is our learned behavior, that we acquired during our early years and changing them requires a lot of work and self-determination. Most people go through life by default, not by design. Know your culture, leverage your best self and know how to add value to yourself.
The 5 roles were developed by Gundl Kutschera Ph.D. who also founded Kutschera Institute in 1974 in Austria. We are going to go through each one of them to observe where we are in our current state and where we want to be regarding our identity and cultural belonging.
First, we must know where we are and have a basic knowledge of who we are in order to make a smooth change towards our wanted outcomes.
One of the efficient ways to determine your personal culture is to use the 5 roles for an analysis. These are the pillars of our analysis that are channels between us and our surroundings.
The 5 roles are:
- Sex & Gender represents our sexual identity. It consists of our sex assigned at birth and our gender identity which can be different from the previous one. For example, the sex assigned at birth can be female, but the gender that I identify with can be agender.
- Hierarchy represents our roles in society and family as well. These can be formal or non-formal roles. For example, accountant at work, mother and wife at home, community manager at church and so on.
- Environment represents our surroundings from an ecological perspective to an architectural one. For example, living in a carbon free country, living in a city or in the countryside, getting in touch and being social with our neighbors, respecting nature and animals and so on.
- Entertainment represents what we do for fun and leisure. For example, watching television, playing video or board games, going out for a run, grabbing a drink with some friends, going on a trip and so on.
- Individual represents the sum of all of the above roles and our very unique way of manifesting it. For example, going on a trip every 2 weeks, grabbing a drink on the weekends, not watching television, consuming media only for 30 minutes a day, so it’s very specific for our own self. It’s our personal schedule.
Always search for your tribe – a group, a community, a job that will support your own personal culture. This will assure you’ll be at your best version and in the right environment for your health and development.
So there it is, hope I have answered some of your questions. Leave a comment or message me for more.